Monday, November 12, 2012

Be grateful, even for the annoyances of life

The turtle


Repost from 5/17/11

Yesterday there was this HUGE turtle crossing the road, he was only half way across the road when my brother-in-law stopped him and told me about him. Never one to miss a neat moment I called to Maddie, my 2 year old  and told her we were going to see a turtle. We walked down the street all the while I was answering the same question "Where is the turtle?". I saw a car coming and actually walked into the middle of the street to stop the car from hitting the turtle. Often cars don't realize that what they are seeing is a live creature in the road and not already road kill. I made the decision at that moment that I had to make sure that he made it safely across the road.

So Maddie and I walk up to the turtle and I just can't believe how big he is! Gorgeous! I had no idea if it was a snapping turtle or a really HUGE box turtle. So I started to nudge him across the road with my foot and when he didn't try to fight me or bite I took the gamble and decided to pick him up. He went deep into his shell and I decided to carry him home. All afternoon we watched him and marveled at his size and beauty, and named him HIPPO. :) I even sat and performed Reiki on him. While I was touching his shell and sending Reiki he would pop his head out just a little. I could actually feel his heart beat or life force through the shell. Really neat connecting that way.

Last night I set him in the pasture and told him to go about his life with good health. I told Maddie that the turtle that we named Hippo had to go home and see his family and she understood and told him goodbye.

I was grateful for his brief visit, and I realized that I probably interrupted his day and his journey. It made me think of how many times in our lives someone just picks us up and takes us from our plans and our reaction to this disruption in our routine. What I have to keep in mind is that those disruptions are all important and part of our life path as well. We don't know the plan and all the factors, we have to accept things on faith.

Maybe that slow driver, that is so annoying was what kept us from getting into an accident. There were people on 9/11 who said that it was little things that kept them from being in the twin towers on time. One person broke her heel of her shoe, another stopped to get band aids, one had a child make a mess of an outfit that caused someone to miss a train. All of these things if you look at them are just things that can irk you and make you feel as if the world is against you. However, when you realize that these little problems kept the person from possibly dying that day you realize they were blessings.

I hope that the turtle made his way safely home. It could be that his little detour to my house was not only a treat for us but maybe it saved his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment