Monday, October 1, 2012

Helping Children with Night Terrors


Has your child ever woken up in the middle of the night screaming, inconsolable, incoherent, and seemingly still asleep? The typical name for this is called “Night Terrors”.  They are a real problem for many parents who have no idea how to help their child.
Night Terrors are much more frightening than an average bad dream. Symptoms of a night terror can range from mild to extreme.
·         Screaming, crying, even moaning – not easily consoled

·         Unable to communicate clearly. (All one of mine would say is OW!)

·         Not wanting to be touched – even acting as if every touch hurts them.

·         Getting out of bed, like sleepwalking but more in an attempt to find a safe space. Going under the bed or into a corner in a protective stance.

·         Hitting anyone who tries to help them.

·         Hitting their selves in frustration.

·         Eyes opened wide and glassy (but not really seeing) or completely closed as if still asleep.

Theories as to the cause of Night Terrors vary greatly. Some believe that there is a direct connection with what is happening in the child’s world at that moment.  Have there been big changes in the little one’s life? Is there turmoil at home, daycare, or school? Others believe that Night Terrors are caused by remembrance of past life events; that the child is remembering traumatic events that took place in a previous lifetime. Since young children are still new on the earth plane they have soul memories that their subconscious is still processing. Another theory is that during the night the soul of the child leaves the body (astral projection) to learn and explore other places.  Children born during this time often have a higher vibrational level and need to leave their bodies to stretch and exercise, as it is hard for their little body to hold such a large vibrational field.  
It is believed that while a child is dreaming, reliving a past event, or traveling, they are woken too early. Something has caused them to awaken before they are ready to come back into the present, fully conscious and aware. Some believe that the child’s soul is forced back into the body too quickly which is painful and disorienting. 
I have experienced Night Terrors with two of my children. Here is what I found helped to lessen the symptoms and even lengthen the time in between episodes:
1.       Investigate if something could be waking your child. Are they hot or cold? Do you have a pet that could be jumping on their bed, startling them?  Record the time when the incident occurs. If you find a pattern, is there a mechanical event happening in the house that could cause the child to awaken? (water heater or softener making noise etc.)

2.       Make sure your child is drinking enough water. Dehydration can make all the symptoms worse.

3.       Don’t react to your child’s Night Terror with frustration or alarm. This can be hard when your sleep has been disrupted and you feel helpless.

4.       Follow your child’s cues. If they don’t want to be touched,  don’t touch them unless you need to restrain them from hurting themselves. Likewise, if your child wants to get out of bed, let them. Moving around often helps the child “wake” sooner.  Keep the child safe, but don’t try to manipulate the situation.

5.       Lastly, and the most important thing that helps me is to keep a calm voice and repeat to the child:
“You are safe, in this time, in this place. You are safe. You are ok. You are here with me.” 
I have sat on the floor and repeated this until I see recognition in their eyes and they cometo me for the physical comfort to get back to sleep.  I know that it sounds goofy, but it has helped with both my children.  Whether their Night Terrors are from current things, past life events, or from astral travel, repeating the above phrase brings her awareness back to me so that I can help.
I hope these tips help and I would love to receive your feedback.  I also recommend talking to your doctor and even videotaping an incidence, so that the doctor can see what you are dealing with. Until a person has experienced this first hand, they don’t really understand how frightening this can be.

1 comment:

  1. My son has had night terrors for several years. He's four now. there are times when they are long (up to an hr) and frequent (3-x/night) and they are very upsetting like you wrote. I repeat a similar phrase to calm him. It can be very frustrating. I do feel helpless sometimes, and scared. In fact, he just had one (a short one, they last much less as he grows). I find that the more tired he is (no nap during the day, woke up extra early, etc) that I almost expect one that night. I try so hard to protect him from all unpleasant things. I wish I could take away this dark cloud! He's never slept through the night often enough for me to rely on it(they said he Would at 6 months-ha!) He woke up screaming that he wanted his mommy, but didn't want me to touch or soothe him. Thanks for your well-written piece. At least knowing I'm not alone helps!

    ReplyDelete